Winter destination Carinthia
Carinthia - it's my life!
Winter holidays on wide, safe slopes, away from the crowds. On snow-covered alpine pastures with touring or cross-country skis, on frozen lakes skating in the open air or winter hiking in a snow-covered fairytale landscape. On the southern side of the Austrian Alps, the ski slopes are particularly sunny. One more reason why Carinthia is becoming increasingly popular as a winter sports destination, especially with families. The sunny slopes combined with southern hospitality, rounded off with Carinthian Alps-Adriatic cuisine, make for a perfect winter holiday.
Information about the season openings of the ski resorts can be found here.
Carinthia as a winter destination in brief:
Skiing in all its facets, ice skating in a unique natural landscape, wellness and well-being in Carinthia's accommodation establishments, sledding, snowshoeing and enjoying Carinthian culinary delights at their best.
In the very heart and surrounded by mountains..
Klagenfurt am Wörthersee
Carinthia is known for its short distances. No matter which ski area you are in, Klagenfurt always invites you as a social programme and pummeling during your ski holiday. The annual Advent and Christmas market on Neuer Platz in Klagenfurt is a highlight in the pre-Christmas period. TIP: Those interested in culture will always find unique exhibitions in the beautiful rooms of the Museum Moderner Kunst Kärnten. A "must see" is also the Wappensaal in the Carinthian Landhaus, below which the Landhaushof Inn serves one of the tastiest Tafelspitz dishes in Carinthia.
Lake Wörthersee is popular in every season. Numerous skiing areas can be reached in a short time. Cross-country skiers, tobogganers and winter hikers also find ideal terrain. Especially during the Advent season, Lake Wörthersee has its own flair with its many small Advent markets. From the well-known Veldner Advent, to the traditional Advent market on the Pyramidenkogel, to the quiet Advent in Pörtschach - each Advent market is unique and full of small experiences and customs. TIP: Even in winter it is worth climbing up the Pyramidenkogel. A wonderful overview of the Wörthersee region, if you are lucky, in a magical winter coat impresses even in the cold season.
The major ski areas | Home of our ski aces and showcase destinations
Carinthia's top ski areas with guaranteed snow, a wide range of winter sports of all kinds and slopes of all levels of difficulty. They offer a skiing experience with everything your heart desires and accommodation in all star categories.
- Nassfeld (30 lifts / 110 km of pistes) | nassfeld.at
- Bad Kleinkirchheim (24 lifts / 103 km of pistes) | badkleinkirchheim.com
- Gerlitzen (20 lifts / 45 km of pistes) | gerlitzen.com
- Katschberg (16 lifts / 70 km of pistes) | katschi.at
- Turracher Höhe (14 lifts / 42 km of pistes) | turracherhoehe.at
- Heiligenblut – Großglockner (12 lifts / 55 km of pistes) | gross-glockner.at
- Mölltaler Gletscher (9 lifts / 24 km of pistes) | gletscher.co.at
The medium-sized ski areas score with cosiness and beautiful nature experiences.
Those who want to take it a little easier and like less hustle and bustle will feel at home in the medium-sized Carinthian ski resorts. Each one is unique and offers great deals for winter sports enthusiasts, as well as skiing experiences in the midst of a wonderful winter landscape with rustic gastronomy, high on the Carinthian mountains.
Our tip is the Falkert with the Heidi Alm. A delightful cosy ski resort - specialised for families and children.
- Goldeck (9 lifts/ 25 km of pistes) | sportberg-goldeck.com
- Dreiländereck (8 lifts / 17 km of pistes) | 3laendereck.at
- Simonhöhe (8 lifts / 15 km of pistes) | simonhoehe.at
- Hochrindl/Sirnitz (7 lifts / 20 kom of pistes) | hochrindl.at
- Koralpe (6 lifts / 24 km of pistes) | koralpe-kaernten.at
- Klippitzthörl (6 lifts / 28 km of pistes) | klippitz.at
- Falkert – Heidi Alm (6 lifts / 11 km of pistes) | heidialm.at
- St. Jakob (6 lifts / 23 km of pistes) | www.stjakob-ski.at
- Ankogel-Mallnitz (5 lifts/ 18 km of pistes) | ankogel-ski.at
The small ski resorts - small - fine - unique
The smallest of Carinthia's ski areas have a total of 46 kilometres of slopes. They are excellent day trip destinations and offer skiing experiences of a special kind. Each one is unique with unique experiences, perfect for skiing beginners and holidaymakers who want to spend their holidays far away from the hustle and bustle.
Our tip: Lake Weissensee in particular, in combination with the natural ice skating rink at Lake Weissensee, is ideal for a winter holiday of a special kind in an environment that invites you to slow down.
- Emberger Alm (5 lifts / 10 km of pistes) | embergeralm.info
- Weissensee (5 lifts / 6 km of pistes) | weissensee.com
- Petzen (4 lifts / 17 km of pistes) | petzen.net
- Flattnitz (4 lifts / 13 km of pistes | gloednitz.com
The Carinthia Tourist Board team is available for your personal holiday enquiries at +43 463 3000 or email@example.com.
Snowshoe hiking routes in Carinthia
Information on Carinthia as a location for business, education and research