Carinthia – It´s my life!
On a winter holiday on wide, safe slopes, away from the crowds. On snow-covered alpine pastures with touring or cross-country skis, on frozen lakes ice skating under the open sky or winter hiking in a snow-covered fairytale landscape. On the southern side of the Austrian Alps, the ski slopes are particularly sunny. One more reason why Carinthia is becoming increasingly popular as a winter sports destination, especially with families. The sunny slopes combined with a portion of southern hospitality and rounded off with Carinthian Alps-Adriatic cuisine makes a winter holiday perfect.
Information about the seasonal starts of the ski resorts can be found here.
Carinthia as a winter destination in brief:
Skiing in all its facets, ice skating in a unique natural landscape, wellness and well-being in Carinthia’s accommodation establishments, sledding, snowshoeing and enjoying Carinthian culinary delights at their best.
Right in the middle and surrounded by mountains…
Klagenfurt am Wörthersee | www.visitklagenfurt.at
Carinthia is known for its short distances. No matter which ski area you are in, Klagenfurt always invites you as a social programme and to go strolling during your skiing holiday. The annual Advent and Christmas market on Neuer Platz in Klagenfurt is a highlight in the pre-Christmas period. TIP: Those interested in culture will always find unique exhibitions in the beautiful rooms of the Museum Moderner Kunst Kärnten. A “must see” is also the Wappen Hall in the Carinthian Landhaus, below which the Landhaushof Inn serves one of the tastiest Tafelspitz dishes in Carinthia.
Lake Wörthersee region | www.woerthersee.com
Lake Wörthersee is popular at any time of year. Numerous skiing areas can be reached in a short time. Cross-country skiers, tobogganers and winter hikers also find ideal terrain. Especially during the Advent season, Lake Wörthersee has its own flair with its many small Advent markets. From the well-known Veldner Advent, to the traditional Advent market on the Pyramidenkogel, to the quiet Advent in Pörtschach – each Advent market is unique and full of small experiences and customs. Due to COVID19, the Advent markets around Lake Wörthersee will unfortunately not take place in 2020. TIP: Even in winter it is worth climbing the Pyramidenkogel. A wonderful overview of the Wörthersee region, if you are lucky, in a magical winter coat impresses even in the cold season.
The great skiing areas | Home of our skiing aces and showcase destinations
Carinthia’s top ski resorts with guaranteed snow, a wide range of winter sports of all kinds and slopes of all levels of difficulty. They offer a skiing experience with everything your heart desires and accommodation in all star categories.
- Nassfeld (30 lifts/110 km of pistes) | nassfeld.at
- Bad Kleinkirchheim (24 lifts / 103 km of pistes) | BadKleinkirchheimer.com
- Gerlitzen (20 lifts / 45 km of pistes) | gerlitzen.com
- Katschberg (16 lifts / 70 km of pistes) | katschi.at
- Turracher Höhe (14 lifts/42 km of pistes) | turracherhoehe.at
- Heiligenblut – Großglockner (12 lifts / 55 km of pistes) | gross-glockner.at
- Innerkrems (10 lifts / 36 km of pistes) | innerkrems.at
- Mölltaler Gletscher (9 lifts / 24 km of pistes) | gletscher.co.at
The medium-sized ski areas score with cosiness and beautiful nature experiences
Those who want to take it a little easier and like less hustle and bustle will feel at home in the medium-sized Carinthian ski resorts. Each one is unique and offers great deals for winter sports holidaymakers, as well as skiing experiences in the midst of a wonderful winter landscape with rustic gastronomy, high on the Carinthian mountains.
Our tip ist the Falkert with the Heidi Alm. A delightful little ski area – specialising in families and children.
- Goldeck (9 lifts / 25 km of slopes) sportberg-goldeck.com
- Dreiländereck (8 lifts / 17 km of pistes) | 3laendereck.at
- Simonhöhe (8 lifts / 15 km of pistes) | simonhoehe.at
- Hochrindl/Sirnitz (7 lifts/20 kilometres of piste) | hochrindl.at
- Koralpe (6 lifts / 24 km of pistes) | koralpe-kaernten.at
- Klippitzthörl (6 lifts / 28 km of pistes | klippitz.at
- Falkert – Heidi Alm (6 lifts / 11 km of pistes) | heidialm.at
- St. Jakob im Defreggental (6 lifts / 23 km of pistes) | www.stjakob-ski.at
- Ankogel-Mallnitz (5 lifts / 17.8 km of pistes) | ankogel-ski.at
The small ski areas – small – fine – unique
The smallest of Carinthia’s ski areas have a total of 46 kilometres of slopes. They are excellent day trip destinations and offer skiing experiences of a special kind. Each one is unique with unique experiences, perfect for skiing beginners and holidaymakers who want to spend their holidays far away from the hustle and bustle.
Our Tip: Lake Weissensee in particular, in combination with the natural ice skating rink on the lake, is ideal for a winter holiday of a special kind in an evironment that invites you to slow down.
The Carinthia Tourist Board team is available for your personal holiday enquiries on
+43 463 3000 or email@example.com.
- kaernten.at – official tourism portal of the province of Carinthia
- Carinthia’s top ski pass https://www.topskipass.at/
- Snowshoe hiking routes throughout Carinthia https://www.kaernten.at/aktivitaeten/winter/schneeschuhwandern/
- TO DO list for Carinthian winter holidaymakers https://www.kaernten.at/aktivitaeten/winter/to-do-liste-im-winter/
- Special accommodations in Carinthian https://www.kaernten.at/aktivitaeten/sommer/kultur-kulinarik/unterkuenfte-der-besonderen-art/
- Winter tours in Carinthia https://www.kaernten.at/aktivitaeten/winter/winterwandern/
- carinthia.com – Information on Carinthia as a location for business, education and research
- Carinthian Welcome Center https://www.ktn.gv.at/Service/Carinthian_welcome_center
- Falstaff report on Carinthia’s best restaurants https://www.falstaff.at/rf/lr/cs/osterreich/karnten/
- Overview of Carinthia’s events https://www.kaernten.at/service/events/